Definition of Self Esteem
The definition of self esteem used on this site is combined from those that found on the Web: I used this list as a starting point during my writings.
• a feeling of pride in yourselfwordnetweb.princeton.edu
And everyone's favorite!!! Wikipedia!
• Self-esteem is a term used in psychology to reflect a person's overall evaluation or appraisal of his or her own worth. Self-esteem encompasses beliefs (for example, "I am competent" or "I am incompetent") and emotions such as triumph, despair, pride and shame. ...en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-esteem
• Personal feelings or opinions of oneselfen.wiktionary.org/wiki/self-esteem
• The degree to which one values oneself. Also faith in oneself, pride, self-assurance, self-regard, self-respect, and vanity. (Top)www.winning-teams.com/definitions.html
• How persons feel about themselves (either positively or negatively).www.child-dev.com/page.cfm
• How you feel about yourself – how you feel about who you are, the way you act, and how you look. www.womenshealthzone.net/glossary/s/
• subjective assessment that people make of themselves.elisabethornano-tdah.org/en/tdah/glosario/
• feelings about one's self. brighamandwomens.staywellsolutionsonline.com/RelatedItems/85,P00754
• A sense of competence, achievement, and self-respect. www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G2-3447200224.html
As you can see, the definitions of self esteem has to do with feelings. And when you deal with feelings, there is no concrete right or wrong. After all, who am I to tell you that what you feel is wrong!!
The secret is in how we deal with the feelings that we have.
And those feelings stem from an ingrained thought pattern based on opinions and beliefs.
The beauty is that you do not have to settle for dealing with bad feelings, you can, and you should change those thought patterns for a happier and healthier life.
Definition of Self Esteem<------leave here and return to The Self Esteem Shop
Or, return to What is Self Esteem.